Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Beginning of my Life





This blog was created entirely by my 8-year-old daughter Emma who has pulmonary atresia, a congenital heart disease. I am her mom and love her with all my life. I am typing what she is saying.

My name is Emma and I am 8-years-old. This is my story as best as I can retell it. God will take care of me (I know that!).

When I was born, I went into the NICU because I was turning blue. It was several hours before anyone knew what was wrong with me. On my second day of life, I had a heart catheterization and on my third day I had surgery to insert a BT shunt. While I was in the hospital, the doctors fed me through a tube. Gross - right? My brother doesn't have this - he's so lucky. On my tenth day, I left the cardiac ICU and went to the general cardiac floor. On day 11, I had a heart attack on the elevator with my mom. She was so scared but the doctors at Texas Childrens' Hospital helped me.

After the heart attack, I went back to cardiac ICU for 8 - 10 days. Poor me. I was 30 days old when I finally got to go home. It was September 5, 2001.

More later!

7 comments:

  1. Great idea Emma! I liked what you said!! It was good information! I remember when you were in the hospital..and we were so glad that you have become such a beautiful, healthy young woman...and your mom is pretty great too:)
    Carrie B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaawww, I remember everything Emma! You are a blessing to those who know you and will be, to those in your future. I remember the day you went home :0), with the feeding tube and everything (yes, I also think that was pretty gross). I cherish every moment we spend together ...I never imagine that I could learn so much from a precious little girl. There is a lot of strength and courage in you! God has blessed you with a wonderful family and He has incredible plans for your life! God will always take care of you!!!!!
    Love and Blessings,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma, you are one brave girl and an example to many of your peers. I will share this blog with my children and I will follow you on your path of explanation and understanding. Thank you for sharing you life.
    From all of us Rodens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma! I love that you are writing a blog! You seem like a natural writer! I cannot wait to keep up with it! I am your second cousin (I think??), Susan who lives in Florida.
    Keep up the good work!
    Love,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma this is from your friend Mya. Emma you are a very strong and funny girl. With your parents and all the doctors help you will be healthy for a very long time. Thanks for your blog.Love, mya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emma- love your blog! Thank you for sharing all this with us. Isabelle, Ben and Katharine (do you remember your red haired cousins? ) are looking forward to hearing more about your life. God has blessed you with a wonderful family and I know he has great plans for you.
    love,
    Cindy Ingalls and family

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emma! You are an amazing girl, and I can't wait to read your story from your point of view.

    And I was standing outside the hospital room the day you were born. You were a beautiful baby who is growing into a beautiful girl.

    ReplyDelete